Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Surf Zombies .|: Something Weird





There are only so many times you can go to YouTube to check out live footage of Olivia Newton-John lypsynching, "Magic". In my case it was 47. I was absolutely mesmerized. The song is a melodious monster. Her dancing is sexy as a white girl can be and she IS the prettiest singer of all time. Name a cuter one and I will cut you. I'm not messing.



At about play #45, I wanted to make an evolutionary "Magic" video that tracked her performances of the song from its 1980 inception thru 2009. I stole the flash files and got my editor warmed up. At #47, I asked myself, "What the hell is wrong with you?"



15 years ago, I would kicked my own ass if that version seen this beaten down wuss that I've become. It was then that I realized that I needed a creative outlet. If ass bleeding was creative, it would be an evolutionary video of "Magic", though. Maybe ass bleeding is the wrong selection for creating a delicious creative adventure.

Wiping away from ass bleed, I found The Surf Zombies submission hovering over the ledge above my toilet. I popped it in. Without reading the booklet or paperwork, I thought, "Damn, this sounds like Dick Dale." You know, the instrumental music that saturates the "Pulp Fiction" soundtrack. It's nasty.

"Something Weird" is a collection of bad ass original guitar-oriented instrumentals that stand up to anything heard from the aforementioned legend. There is a darker vibe on some of the tracks that recall Joey Santiago's Pixies heyday. Believe me, the vibe of this is fun and would play incredible at an old hipster club or in the background of an active adventure.

As a CD though, its 21 tracks of similar sounding jaunts tire. There are no vocals (outside of a cliched counting intro) and only slight tempo variations. A few of the cuts start to venture a little to the surreal, but did not go far enough -- I could see something beautiful (like Olivia Newton-John) on the horizon, but The Surf Zombies dropped me off on the wrong side of the canyon.



If you are itching for a fix of surf rock ... check this band out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment